1 higher in place or position; "the upper bunk"; "in the upper center of the picture"; "the upper stories"
2 the topmost one of two
3 superior in rank or accomplishment; "the upper half of the class"
1 the higher of two berths [syn: upper berth]
2 piece of leather that forms the part of a shoe or boot above the sole
3 a central nervous system stimulant that increases energy and decreases appetite; used to treat narcolepsy and some forms of depression [syn: amphetamine, pep pill, speed]
- That which is higher, contrasted with the lower.
- As the restless sleeper here, I'll take the lower berth. You take the upper.
- In the context of "shoemaking": The piece of leather, etc., that forms the top part of a shoe above the sole; a vamp.
- A stimulant such as amphetamine that increases energy and decreases appetite.
- At a higher level, rank or position
- Situated on higher ground, further inland, or more northerly.
- (Archaeology and Geology) of a later division of some period
- (Politics) In a bicameral system, the generally smaller and less representative house.
- (Upper school) A secundary school. For pupils aged about 14 upward
- Arabic: (’áʕla)
- Chinese: 上邊的, 上边的 (shàngbiān-de)
- Czech: horní
- Dutch: hoger
- Finnish: ylempi
- French: supérieur
- German: obere
- Hungarian: felső
- Italian: superiore
- Japanese: 上の (うえの, ue no)
- Korean: 웃 (ut), 윗 (wit)
- Norwegian: øvre
- Portuguese: superior
- Russian: верхний (vérxnij)
- Spanish: superior
- Swedish: övre
- Telugu: పై (pai) (1, 2)
- on one's uppers — destitute
wikt upper Upper may refer to:
Benzedrine, Benzedrine pill, C, Dexamyl, Dexamyl pill, Dexedrine, Dexedrine pill, Methedrine, a cut above, above, advantage, ahead, amphetamine, amphetamine sulfate, aristocrats, ascendancy, ascendant, authority, better, blue bloods, broke, capping, chosen, cocaine, coke, command, control, crystal, destitute, dextroamphetamine sulfate, distinguished, dominance, eclipsing, edge, elite, eminent, exceeding, excellent, excelling, finer, football, greater, heart, higher, highest, in ascendancy, in the ascendant, indigent, jolly bean, later, loftier, major, marked, methamphetamine hydrochloride, northern, of choice, one up on, outstanding, over, pep pill, poor, poverty-stricken, power, purple heart, rare, rivaling, snow, speed, stimulant, super, superior, superiority, supremacy, surpassing, sway, topmost, topping, transcendent, transcendental, transcending, upland, upmost, upper case, upper class, upper crust, upper hand, uppermost, wealthy